Trying to get back to blogging after a very hard and trying spring and summer. I'll go into a little more in another post. Enjoy this recipe that I adapted from a recipe for Chicken-Broccoli-Cheddar chowder that was in the September/October 2014 issue of Eating Well Magazine. We first made the recipe as a chowder using coconut milk instead of milk and left out the cheese. It tasted so good that I decided end that it would taste really good as a filling for a pot pie. So I kept the recipe the same from the chowder but added carrots and topped it with phyllo dough. All I can say is that it was some amazing comfort food! Enjoy😘
3 tbsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
1 cup carrots, peeled and diced
1 cup onion, diced
1 cup celery, diced
1/2 cup Unbleached All Purpose Flour
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp ground pepper
4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
1 1/4 cups unsweetened (canned) coconut milk
2 cups Yukon Gold Potatoes, diced
3 cups broccoli, chopped
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
phyllo dough, thawed
1 tbsp Earth Balance, melted or cooking spray
1. Over medium heat add oil to stockpot. Preheat oven to 350*F.
2. Add onions, celery and carrots and cook stirring frequently until softened and beginning to brown for approximately 3 to 6 minutes.
3. Sprinkle the flour, ground mustard, salt, and pepper and cook stirring frequently for 1 minute.
4. Stir in coconut milk and chicken stock and bring to a gentle boil stirring frequently.
6. Add the chicken and cook, stirring frequently until chicken is fully cooked for 2 to 6 minutes. I stir and find the largest piece of chicken and test it with an instant read thermometer.
7. Spray casserole dish with cooking spray and pour mixture into the casserole dish. spread sheets of phyllo dough over the mixture & brush each layer with either the Earth Balance or spray with cooking spray. Place casserole dish in oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until phyllo is golden.