I don't know what it was but one day at work I had this craving for chocolate and cherries. This cake was a perfect blend of both. I don't know what it was but for about a week I had a real craving for cherries and not just raw. So this recipe is one of 3 that uses some of the cherries that I had in the fridge. The cherries made the chocolate taste even more delicious than if I would have made the cake without them.
This recipe makes one loaf or one 9x9" round. If you want to make a layer cake, I think this would be delicious with some vanilla coconut milk icing which is a recipe coming soon, you will need to double the recipe.
1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup coconut oil, melter and cooled
1 cup pitted and diced cherries
1. Preheat oven to 350* and lightly grease a loaf pan or one 9x9" round cake pan.
2. In a bowl mix together the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and unsweetened cocoa powder.
3. In another bowl mix together water, apple cider vinegar, vanilla extract and coconut oil.
4. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients mixing until just combined. Gently folding in the cherries being careful not to over mix.
5. Pour batter into a greased loaf pan or round cake pan and bake for 40 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.